Friday, January 18, 2013

self portraits with personality

I recently began a self portrait lesson with second grade and I debated over how I wanted to begin with them. I think I have talked on here before about how I often will let my students jump right in and draw with markers or the paint rather than having them start with a pencil. There is definitely a mixture of pros and cons to both approaches. I really wanted these portraits to have lots of personality and I find that sometimes when they start with a pencil, they end up erasing all of their "personality". So, we jumped right in and they "drew" with a paintbrush and black tempera paint. We will begin painting in the color next week. I like using colored construction paper too because I like the way the paint looks on top.
 I love this one with his head cocked to the side. He probably would have erased it...if we could :)

 Yes, I need to clean my tables. bad.

4 comments:

  1. I love these portraits! I'm a big fan of black paint so naturally, I adore the project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the line quality and expressiveness in these portraits. Can't wait to see them in color!

    A question: do you have students who get very frustrated with the process? You know....'I messed up' etc.? Do you do a practice exercise first?

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On occasion I will have a student that gets a little frustrated but I try to prepare them beforehand by saying things like...There are no mistakes..you may have something not go as planned..being flexible is important...jump in and have fun with the imperfections...ect...
      Kids really are resilient little things and all of those skills are important "life skills" that art can help facilitate...being flexible, being persistent, being commited to a task and not giving up. I'm rambling. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. I love the simplicity of these portraits. Purple and black go great together.

    ReplyDelete